The Manila celebration was held in Batasan Hills National High School where hundreds of students join the games, and the handwashing drills. In this event was launched the "Tip It Up" set from the DOH for those areas who has no water supply.
In our hands alone, there are lots of microorganisms of so many kinds. Well there are millions of bacteria on your hands, also fungi and viruses. They are of all different kinds. When you wash your hands, you are not killing all of them, just the ones that have jumped on recently and are probably bad for you.
Handwashing is the most essential factor for maintaining good health. That is one of the things I've learned when I was in gradeschool that are really applicable everytime. Handwashing for hand hygiene is the act of cleaning the hands with or without the use of water or another liquid, or with the use of soap, for the purpose of removing soil, dirt, and/or microorganisms. Handwashing with water is not enough! Using soap breaks down disease-causing bacteria and leaves hands smelling good.
When to Wash Your hands? According to Department of Health, it must be at least minimum of 20 times per day. So it must be:
- After using the washroom at home or at any public place
- After visiting a patient at the hospital
- Before as well as after eating food
- Before and after one starts cooking food, especially meat, fish and poultry
- After changing a baby's diaper
- After touching pets or cleaning their feces
- Before touching young infants and children
- Before and after touching injured areas and changing the dressing of a wounded person
- After collecting and throwing out garbage
- After sneezing, coughing and blowing your nose
- As necessary (I added this one to the list)
Keeping hands clean through improved hand hygiene is one of the most important steps we can take to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. Keep your hands clean, make yourself a health agent. Let's save lives. Because clean hands, save lives!
Related article: Global Handwashing Day Philippines 2011 – A Nationwide Celebration of How “Clean Hands Save Lives”
NhamNgaHanh is the founder and editor in chief of SimplexDesign blog ,a blog on Blogger tips ,tricks ,designer resources and many premium Blogger templates for free use.